From April 2016 the Health and Safety at Work (Asbestos) Regulations created new workplace and residential obligations for building owners and those working with asbestos.
According to Work Safe New Zealand, asbestos is New Zealand’s number 1 killer in the workplace, accounting for 170 deaths each year from asbestos related diseases. The aim of the Regulations is to mitigate that impact by imposing amongst other things:
- A licensing system for the removal of asbestos.
- New duties and responsibilities of building owners.
- Requirements for processes in determining the presence of asbestos.
- Specific duties in relation to asbestos removal.
- New duties in relation to the management of asbestos risks