The ILN is proud to announce our latest firm of the month, Robinson Sheppard Shapiro (RSS) – Montreal, Canada!
Robinson Sheppard Shapiro, a mid-size firm steeped in tradition, is located in Montreal, a city rooted in a rich cultural heritage with a unique civil law system. Founded in 1921, their firm has a long history of providing global and in depth legal advice and services in transactions and judicial proceedings alike.
Their firm’s 80 bilingual attorneys offer comprehensive multidisciplinary expertise to their diverse local, national and international clientele. The attorneys in their Insurance Law practice group and Business Law practice group (including their mergers and acquisitions, tax, finance, real estate, transportation, employment, IP and commercial litigation groups) are recognized leaders in their fields. They bring extensive knowledge, skill sets and high level strategic thinking to all legal and business matters. RSS is also home to one of Montreal’s largest and most respected Family Law practice groups. Their attorneys have been consistently recognized by peer – rating publications as being amongst Canada’s best. Their approach across all practice groups is rooted in a strong belief that valued and valuable legal counsel demands a disciplined practice of uncompromising integrity, high efficiency, practical counsel and superior expertise.
Their firm offers a blend of 21st century amenities such as a dedicated conference centre with multifunctional boardrooms and state of the art technology, uniquely balanced with a strong commitment to and sensibility towards maintaining cost-effective services, where personal relationships, a deep appreciation of and interest in their clients’ needs and global business trends, is a cornerstone of their philosophy. Being large enough to generate economies of scale, and small enough to be able to easily adapt to the ever changing business and economic needs of their clients and to deliver efficient personal services, RSS continues to deliver on its century old tradition of high quality service in all respects.
Herb Pinchuk, Chair of the Business Law Practice Group, points out the steady and focused growth of the firm. “Over the past 12 months, we have engaged 15 new attorneys”. Those include:
- Marilyn Piccini Roy, Ad. E., one of the country’s leading estates and trusts practitioners;
- Julie Forest, labour and employment law, with expertise in entertainment law, litigation and arbitration;
- Pierre Brossoit, construction and real estate litigation;
- Benoît G. Bourgon, with over 35 years’ experience in litigation, with special emphasis on insurance defense matters.
Recent Matters in which the Firm was Involved
A small sample of the firm’s recent legal representation includes:
- Counsel to a major Canadian fast food chain seeking to obtain an order of mandamus against a municipality;
- Completion of a large number of leasing transactions involving facilities for food, restaurant, jewellery and clothing establishments and large commercial premises;
- Continued representation of the interests of a Quebec-based real estate developer named as Master Developer of a large multi-use development project in New Haven, Connecticut;
- Counsel to an insurer in a tobacco litigation class action suit that resulted in a $15-billion award;
- Counsel in the $450M class action suit that followed the Lac Mégantic train derailment;
- Representation of the self-insured law societies (attorneys and notaries in Quebec) in the defense of malpractice cases;
- Counsel in one of the most significant local investor fraud cases of the past decades;
- Represented a large Quebec-based soft goods manufacturer and importer in its acquisition and restructuring of several manufacturing entities under receivership;
- Represented the principal defendants in a province-wide product liability case;
- Represented a beneficiary in a multi-jurisdictional international estate dispute;
- Performed a major reorganization of an international manufacturer and distributor of health care products;
- Represented various buyers in their acquisition and financing of large mixed use commercial complexes and industrial properties.
Herb points out that while the firm’s national and international client base continues to grow, it is deeply entrenched in the local Quebec economy, where its reputation as a first-rate, mid sized law firm is impeccable.
He is also quick to acknowledge the firm’s very beneficial, long-standing relationship with the ILN. The Network has allowed RSS attorneys to work with ILN members on many of challenging matters with a Quebec/Canadian connection and in the process, to develop some very meaningful global relationships and friendships. “The firm’s link with the ILN has been very rewarding and mutually beneficial with both inbound and outbound referrals.”
Main Contacts at Robinson Sheppard Shapiro and More…
Full descriptions of Robinson Sheppard Shapiro’s services, expertise, and lawyer profiles
are available on their ILN profile.
Telephone: +1 (514) 393-4021
Practice Groups: Trusts, Estates
Telephone: +1 (514) 393-4023
Practice Groups: Business
||ILN Executive Director, Alan Griffiths says…
“Robinson Sheppard Shapiro values professional excellence, high quality service, and solutions-oriented advocacy, and those values come through clearly in their work and commitment as ILN members.”