THE DECISION On May 6, 2015, after over three months of public hearings and technical meetings over the past two and a half years, the Joint Review Panel established under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act (CEAA) and the Nuclear Safety and Control Act, presented its report to the Federal Minister of the Environment. The Panel consisted of the Chair, Dr. Stella Swanson, who previously advised the federal review panel on High Level Nuclear Waste Disposal in Canada (the Seaborn Panel), Dr. James Archibald, a Queen’s University professor who served on the review panel on uranium mining in Saskatchewan and Dr. Gunther Muecke , a geologist who has previously served on federal– provincial review panels in complex quarry projects. The Report concludes that the deep geologic repository (DGR), to be built 680 metres below ground surface to permanently house 200,000 cubic metres of low and intermediate level radioactive waste (LILW), is not likely to cause significant adverse environmental effects, taking into account the implementation of the mitigation measures committed to by the proponent Ontario Power Generation Inc. (OPG), as well as the additional mitigation measures recommended by the Panel. The radioactive waste facility is to be built on the Bruce nuclear site in the Municipality of Kincardine ,Ontario. The low level waste consists of materials such as protective clothing, floor sweepings, mops and rags, while the intermediate level waste consists of nonfuel waste that cannot be handled without radiation measures such as used reactor core components, refurbishment waste and resins and filters from nuclear reactor operations. More…
ILN Membership Events
May 19, 2021McDonald Hopkins' Employer Vaccination Plans and Protocols Webinar
May 27, 2021McDonald Hopkins' International Trade, Antitrust Issues & Strategies Webinar
ILN Today Topics
- Asia Pacific
- Banking & Finance
- Business Development/Marketing
- Central America
- Corporate Law
- Cybersecurity/Data Privacy
- Estates & Trusts
- Intellectual Property
- International Trade
- Labor & Employment
- North America
- Public Law
- Real Estate
- South America
- ILN IP Insider
- ILN Podcasts
- Legal Updates
- Zen & the Art of Legal Networking
Zen & The Art of Legal NetworkingLatest posts from ILN's Lindsay Griffiths Subscribe to ILN's blog
- Rainmaking Recommendation from Jaimie Field: Relationships Matter
- Rainmaking Recommendation from Jaimie Field: How Are You Doing?
- Law Firm ILN-telligence Podcast | Episode 31: Ron Norwood | Lewis Rice
- Rainmaking Recommendation from Jaimie Field: 10 Ways to Meet Your Ideal Clients
- Rainmaking Recommendation from Jaimie Field: Tell Me Why!
- ILN Firm of the Month – A. & K. Metaxopoulos and Partners Law Firm, Greece!
- Rainmaking Recommendation from Jaimie Field: What is Too Much Information?
- Law Firm ILN-telligence Podcast | Episode 30: Mitch Karsch | Davis & Gilbert